Sunday, June 7, 2009

Radicaltown? Really?

As we’ve become more used to the day-to-day workings of Metelkova, in turn, Metelkova has gotten more used to us.  It’s easier to walk up to someone and strike up conversation, easier to float from concert to concert, our interviews are more vibrant and the dialogue is more provocative, and I feel more comfortable taking pictures, more like an observer and less like an intruder.  I by no means have “figured this place out”—to do that would take much more time – but I know what to expect when I sit in on an interview.  Largely, the people here see Metelkova as an outlet for creative expression, an active body of those who don’t fit into the mold of mainstream society.   They recognize the changes occurring, like the generational gap and the relationship with the government, but still remain hopeful and proud of their accomplishments these past 15 years.  And after being around these people consistently for the past three weeks, their reasoning doesn’t seem so radical.  Once I get past the “radical” nature of their appearance, the natty dreadlocks and unkempt beards, I find that their alternative, radical way of life isn’t the shocking, chaotic whirlwind I pictured.  They drink coffee in the mornings, do their work during the day, hang out with their friends and organize cool events.  To me, the stigma of Metelkova as “Crazytown” probably makes up a lot of the problematic relationships with the outside world.  

No comments:

Post a Comment